I've read the book. Where do I go from here?
If you’re looking to take the next step in following Jesus here are a few basics:
- Specifically, put your faith in Jesus for salvation, turn away from sin, and commit to follow him. This doesn’t have to be fancy but it should be done in your own words. Simply talk to God about the gospel and your response to it.
- Start reading the Bible. You may not understand everything but you’ll be surprised how much you will understand. Consider starting with The Gospel of John to understand more about Jesus and his teaching. Ephesians also provides a great clear explanation of what it means to be a Christian and be part of Jesus’ family. The Psalms help teach us how to talk to God.
- None of us are meant to follow Jesus alone so find a local church. Look for one that clearly teaches and proclaims the good news about Jesus and lines up with what you read in the Bible. You might be new, but you have something in common with the people there: they’re all following Jesus and part of his family too. In El Paso check out our Community page.
- If you’ve never been baptized then get baptized. Baptism is an outward symbol of an inward spiritual reality. When people are placed in the water it symbolizes them dying to their old life and when they come out of the water it symbolizes them being raised to new life in Christ. Baptism is a way of publicly identifying with Jesus and it’s an important step in following Jesus.
- Even if you’re new to following Jesus you can tell others about the good news too. There are probably friends and family you know that don’t know this good news about Jesus. Share it with them and the difference it’s made in your life.